Last night, I made my very first meal in my new kitchen! It was also the very first time I attempted baked macaroni and cheese and boy did it turn out yummy! Here's the recipe (which I modified a bit from Giada's recipe):
butter, for greasing the dish
12 ounces of wide egg noodles (i used a 16 oz bag)
2 cups heavy cream
2 1/2 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups (packed) grated Fontina
3/4 cup (packed) grated Parmesan
3/4 cup (packed) grated Mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Cook the noodles until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain, but don't rinse.
3. Butter a 13x9 inch glass baking dish while the noodles are cooking and set aside.
4. Whisk the cream, milk, flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
5. Stir in 1 cup Fontina, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and 1/2 cup Mozzarella.
6. Add the noodles and toss to coat, then transfer the mixture to the baking dish.
7. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the noodles.
8. Bake until the sauce bubbles, the cheese melts, and the top begins to brown, about 20 minutes.
Here was my finished product!
This was the easiest dish ever - it took 15 minutes to put together and 20 to bake, which meant a meal in under an hour! :) I also really liked the egg noodles, which made a much lighter product than the traditional elbow macaroni. Note: the recipe said the yield was 6 servings, but I think it's more like 8 - unless you're feeding teenage boys!
What other dishes should I try? Send me your favorites!
Oh, man- that looks REALLY good. I wish I had some right now! I don't think I've ever made homemade baked mac and cheese before. Now I want to try!ReplyDelete
yummy! looks so good!ReplyDelete
That looks like a great recipe to make. will definitely try it sometime this week!ReplyDelete
Yummy! I am making baked macaroni and cheese to bring to Thanksgiving. It is so tasty I only allow myself to make it for special occasions.ReplyDelete